Monday, October 02, 2006

 
Required Foley Post

Okay, since everyone is making a Foley post, I guess I should do one myself.

He's a predator. His party affiliation is irrelevant. Boot him out of office. If he broke the law, prosecute him. Whatever happens, happens. Deal with him, and let's move on.

Now, with all of that said and done, some things DO stick with me.

First off, fooling around with the pages isn't anything new. It happened in the 80's. I can't say I'm shocked. I remember it happening before.

What DOES bother me is that we're finding that people in the page organization knew about this guy back around 2000 or 2001. They were informally warning pages not to get too friendly with the guy. No one, however, took official action.

In a way, I can see that because the LAST thing you want in any political or business organization is for your secretaries and "pages" to start airing dirty laundry. It doesn't "forgive" them, but, as Chris Rock said, "I don't condone it, but I UNDERSTAND."

Now for the part of this post that is NOT going to win friends, but it MIGHT influence some people. *sigh*

The way I understand it, this guy was going after male pages who were 15+ years old. Okay, these are young people, but they're not "children" in the traditional sense. To some degree, depending on maturity levels, at least SOME of these kids knew what was going on.

You also have to consider that these are supposedly kids who are/were a lot smarter and more mature than the average kid. I mean, they WERE chosen out of a group of candidates to be pages. They're not randomly chosen from a home room at the local high school.

Also, they more than likely knew the guy was the way he is. So why give him the time of day unless you're interested?

At least 2 or 3 of the pages were actively communicating with the guy . . . possibly more. From what I understand, even though LEGALLY there couldn't be consent, some of the participants weren't complaining nor avoiding contact. This tells me that some of the "kids" weren't terrified and intimidated. Some of them were doing what they wanted to do.

Put it this way. How would this all be different if the offending politician was an attractive 36 year old representative from California, and she had met 4 or 5 pages over the years for sexual escapades? I don't know, but going off what I've seen of attractive female teachers having sex with 14 year old boys, I'd say "feh, not much probably."

Would this have changed if this would have been a really great looking rep from Washington State who played around with some 17 year old female pages? Possibly. Who knows? I think it would be about as bad in the media.

Now, let's look at the cold, hard facts here. Yes, the man was in a position of power. Yes he had time to perfect his "craft". Yes he should be prosecuted as much as the offense deserves. Enough of that discussion, though. Let's get to some different ground.

Think of this. Over about six years, this guy found numerous young men to have some varying degree of sexual contact with. Pages aren't there forever. It's a rotational "honorary" thing, so he had limited time. And, now we're finding out the pages were actually warned about the guy. So, with relatively impulsive-only exposure, this guy was able to initiate homosexual-based communications with minors who were aware of his tendencies.

Anyone else see a problem with this?

Granted, when I was 16ish, there were a couple of female teachers in my school who could have probably seduced me. There was one I was REALLY HOPING would try and seduce me! LOL! She really missed a great opportunity to have an amusing plaything if she had wanted one!

On the other hand, there were NO male teachers who could have convinced me to do anything with them sexually. I was approached indirectly when I was barely 18 and in a very vulnerable time in my life, but I heard Obi-wan saying "RUN LUKE RUN", and I did. I doubt that me being 16 or even 15 would have caused any different a reaction.

I think we're just seeing the beginnings of our new sexual generation. The line between "children" and "adult" is REALLY getting blurred as far as sex goes. I think we're just getting a preview of what's to come later.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?