Thursday, November 09, 2006

 
Blogs Have Screwed Up Everything

Okay, maybe not, but CRIPES they can be frustrating sometimes.

I’m a veteran of the internet forums from years back. I’ve slung dung with abortionists, white supremacists, feminists, and God-knows what else in days past. What can I say? I like it. I like being challenged, and I like to see WHY people believe what they believe. In fact, I’ve changed my mind on a few issues here and there as much as I’ve had my existing beliefs cemented. Overall, I think it’s good for people with opinions to sharpen or dash them on the rock of others’.

Of course, that was in the discussion forum days. We’re out of that now. Welcome to the land of Blog i.e. the blogosphere.

You see, the blogosphere isn’t like the discussion forums. In the discussion forums, you’re invited to make your opinion public, challenge others’ opinions, and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes feelings get hurt. Sometimes people are mean. Sometimes you learn that what you THOUGHT you knew, was crap. Generally, you just restate what you’ve felt for some time and maybe learn a little nuance here and there that you were unaware of.

The key is DISCUSSION, and for good discussion, you need some point/counter-point. Sometimes, it’s not always friendly. It’s almost NEVER for the feint of heart.

Ah, but not the blogosphere! The blogosphere is a place where EVERYBODY matters . . . on their own site. It’s a place where you’re surrounded by friends . . . AND THAT’S ALL. It’s a place where everybody gets along and everybody agrees and everybody has similar opinions . . . or you’re asked to leave one way or the other. It’s a place where challenging discussion is a lively debate on whether the blog owner is ALWAYS right or just 90+% of the time. It’s a place where scientific polls have questions like:

Women’s Poll on Rape in America (choose one):
In your lifetime, you have been raped:
Option #1: Multiple times by friends and strangers alike
Option #2: Multiple times by friends
Option #3: Multiple times by strangers
Option #4: It’s been so many times by so many people, I’ve lost count

Men’s Poll on Rape in America (choose one you pigs):
In my lifetime, my rape totals are:
Option #1: One to two a week if I can get off work
Option #2: Only one or two a month, but I brutalize them a lot
Option #3: Two or three a year, but they’re elderly and I kill them slowly
Option #4: You can’t rape women because they’re all asking for it.
Option #5: The woman I’m raping is typing in the answer as we speak.

Okay, maybe that’s not funny. Neh, bullcrap, it’s funny. And it’s pathetic. And that poll would probably be greeted with nods and accolades if posted on a lot of the militant feminist blogs.

I think blogs are perhaps the antithesis of discussion forums. Blogs are a warm and inviting place for people to have EVERYTHING THEY BELIEVE confirmed. It’s not a place for challenge. It’s a place for confirmation and acceptance. It’s a place where people can say “YEAH!!! That’s awful . . . wanna’ hear something WORSE, THOUGH??”, “you go girl”, or “wow, man, you’re so perceptive”.

I keep reading blogs, and I keep hearing Henry Rollins singing in the background i.e. “I can really sympathize with the way you’re feeling . .. HAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA . . . LIAR!!!!! LIAR!!!!!!” LOL!

It’s weird to go to a website, read an opinion piece ending with “please discuss this!”, and then get angry responses for, dare I say, DISCUSSING IT. They should be honest. It should end with “please confirm what I’ve said in the comments section . . . and can you please tell me I’m beautiful and smart, too . . . I’m feeling a little low”.

Okay, so why should I care? People are free to read and say whatever they want on their own spot, right? YOU BET!! This is living proof, I guess. I dunno’, though. I guess I’ve read some REALLY interesting things on blogs and it enticed me to put together comments and responses IN THEIR comments and responses section. Generally, I find that I’m either the only one or the one of two people on the blog that offers a different slant or approach, and the differences sort of drive the conversation past the usual “yeah, great post” and “oh, I agree with you completely!” people. Many times, the conversation goes REALLY well and LOTS of interesting points come out. Right when things get REALLY good, though, out comes the “hey, why don’t you just leave” people and “why are you disrupting our discussion” remarks. It’s a bummer.

So, maybe I’m a jerk for going to a feminist website and say awful things like “I’ve never raped a woman”. Maybe I’m a bad person for going to a liberal website and say awful things like “sounds good, but how are you going to pay for it?” Maybe. I guess I am. It’s their punch bowl, and I guess I’m whizzing in it.

For the second time in my blog career (what a laugh there), I’m peeing on the fire and calling the dogs, I guess. I’m DEFINITELY going to curtail or cut out completely my commenting on other sites. I have one more entry to my blog I’m prepping now, and that will probably be it for a while. We’ll see.

Anyway, maybe I’ll find some conservative blogs and put on my pleated skirt and wave my pom-poms like everyone wants people to do. Confrontation is scary, I suppose. It’s especially scary if your point of view isn’t very defendable, I guess, but that’s irrelevant to many people.

In parting for this post, my blog not withstanding, I don’t think blogs are as wonderful and revolutionary as everyone thinks they are. Basically, they’re a one person discussion forum with opposition filters built into the administration . . . and pretty boring at that.

ED, WHY DON’T YOU POST ON YOUR OWN BLOG??? Simple. It’s boring. No one comments, no one raises a question, no one cares. Feh, what fun or value is that?

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?